Skip to main content

VTP question

More
15 years 8 months ago #28649 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: VTP question
From what i remember, the information is sent over the VLAN trunk (which i believe is different to EtherChannels, EtherChannels is just a way of combining multiple switch ports to double, triple, etc... throughput over them. I.e. if you setup an EtherChannel over two 100Mb Switch Ports, you would get 200Mb throughput over it).

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
15 years 8 months ago #28650 by Kajitora
Replied by Kajitora on topic Re: VTP question
When I first learned about VTP it was explained to me this way:

A switch maintains a Database of VLan's, the database stores which VLAN's the switch knows about and what the name/description is (Among other information.)

The switch config stores what VLAN a port is assigned to. So if you set port 10 to vlan 30, then that information would be stored in the switch config.

The switch config and vlan database are totally separate files.

VTP shares the Vlan Database with other members of its domain, not the config.

Hope this helps.

itgamers.blogspot.com
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #28661 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: VTP question
Thanks Guys for explanation, now I get it. :-)

What if the switch is in transparent mode and have VTP domain same as in VTP server? Will it also aquire VTP server's vlan database?

What will be its behavior? Thanks for clarification I am a little bit confuse.

Cheers!
Gagamboy

:?:
More
15 years 8 months ago #28662 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: VTP question

What if the switch is in transparent mode and have VTP domain same as in VTP server? Will it also aquire VTP server's vlan database?

As far as I as know, when a switch is set to transparent mode the switch will act as it's own server for VLAN information. But it will not send it's VLAN information to other clients and it will not update it's VLAN information from other servers. The only thing transparent switches do is forward VLAN information that they receive from switches out their trunk ports (thats in VTP Version 2 only).

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #28665 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: VTP question
Thanks Solo.

What will be the purpose/role of VTP domain when the switch is in transparent mode? Or it should not be join in domain?

Thanks for clarification.

Cheers!
Gagamboy
More
15 years 8 months ago #28666 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: VTP question
No prob. gagamboy.

First I'll have to correct what I've said before about Packet Tracer. forwarding of VLANs does work properly for transparent switches in the latest version for Packet Tracer.

For the domain name. It didn't make any difference for transparent mode. If I set it to the same domain as the server's or set it to a different one, the transparent switch always forwards the VLANs via VTP. Ofcourse, all my testing is done on Packet Tracer.

Hope this helps

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds