Skip to main content

Securing a wired LAN

More
15 years 10 months ago #28243 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Securing a wired LAN
Backup strategy depends on what you are protecting e.g. just the OS or the OS plus business data or perhaps personal/private data on individuals as well. There are different levels of obligation re data security depending on what you are holding. Second thing it depends on is how fast do you need to be able to get the system/lost data back, and how complete must the recovery be? To last week, the previous hour or to any given point in time, usually the moment right before it went down?
Consider as well the security of the backup media - will you need to send them off site or will an on-site fire safe do? And, whatever you do, test it through real word restores. If the company concerned won't put extra into the budget for testing the restores then go for a cheaper backup solution to free up the money for it. An untested backup is often only found to be useless when the tape won't work in a disaster
More
15 years 10 months ago #28251 by DSL55
Replied by DSL55 on topic Re: Securing a wired LAN
thx very much for your help.

I would like to achieve a quality project and professional help is always welcome. I've decided the following objectives for maximum security on a wired LAN:

1 - Investigate each layer vulnerability, threats and attacks
2 - Investigate how to secure the 7 Layer of the OSI model
3 - Implement a backup strategy (based on the company requirements)
4 - Test my security implementations
5 - Implement maximum security with and develop a security policy based on my investigations/implementations.

Base on this does any of you advice me with wise opinions for a complete project?
Thank you very much all for your time. This is a very important project for me, just need to know if I'm in the right path.

thx
Ed
More
15 years 9 months ago #28269 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: Securing a wired LAN
For Layer-1 you could add to protect your cables with a nice rubber jacket :). Make sure your computers won't get flood (yes by water :P)

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds