Skip to main content

NAT in Windows 2003 Server

More
15 years 11 months ago #27625 by kwiki
Hi! Newbie here :)

I have a problem with my Windows 2003 server.

Win 2003 Server ip
Lan1: 192.168.1.3/24
Lan2: 192.168.0.2/27

I want to access my files in my server(192.168.1.13/24) in lan1 using my ip in lan2 (192.168.0.13/27).

Is this possible?
More
15 years 11 months ago #27645 by KiLLaBeE
You may need to enable the routing and remote access role on the server but if I understand you correctly, then yes, you'd be able to do this.

When the server receives the request from a computer on LAN2 from NIC2 to access a resource on LAN2, the server will look in its built-in routing table (and use its routing capabilities) to determine how to reach the destination (192.168.1.13). It'll see that NIC1 is in that subnet so it'll send the request out that NIC. The routing table for this should already exist.

My network is setup in a similar manner except I use classful IP addresses.

I'm open for corrections in case I'm slightly off on something (of very off on something)
More
15 years 11 months ago #27646 by kwiki
I already did that but it did not solve my problem. Maybe I mis-configure the routing settings of my server.. The nic1 is the one I configured to have an access to internet and I also set the ip of Nic1 as the gateway of my NIC2 but nothing happen. :(
More
15 years 11 months ago #27655 by KiLLaBeE
NIC2 shouldn't need a gateway IP address. In fact, you just need one default gateway defined on a server (regardless of how many NICs). You may have received an error that said something like "warning - the default gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP address and subnet mask" when you were assigning NIC2 the IP address of NIC1 for the gateway since the two NICs are in different networks. Also, do you have other routers connected to the server's NICs? If so, you'll definitely need to add route entries to them because they have no idea that they're on a multi-subnet network.

First remove NIC2's gateway (leave it blank). Assign a default gateway to NIC1 that points to your router that leads to the Internet. Restart the Routing and Remote Access service and try simple things like pinging the nodes on the different networks. If you have other routers between the networks, you'll need to add route entries to them. You shouldn't need to add any routes on the server for networks that the server is directly attached to. The server will automatically create those routers.

On my network, I have a server acting like a router (it has three NICs, each NIC with on a different network). Each NIC is connected to a seperate router. To allow computers that were connected to the routers to communicate with computers on the other routers (on the other networks), I had to add routing entries to the routers that basically acted like default gateways (if the routers didn't know how to locate a network, they would forward the traffic to the server, who knew the path right away). I used Wireshark initially to know whether traffic was reaching or not.

Some ping error codes you may see are "destination host/net unreachable" and "TTL expired in transit" if there's a routing issue.

Hope this helps you out a bit more
More
15 years 11 months ago #27658 by kwiki
Wow! thanks man. I will do that later. I can now picture out what went wrong to my settings.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds