Skip to main content

DHCP Complications

More
16 years 12 hours ago #27468 by farles
DHCP Complications was created by farles
Hi, I'm new to the site and have some questions.

I've setup a Linux Terminal Server that uses PXE booting and DHCP. We are running a 3550 as our current DHCP server. All of our traffic was on VLAN1 so we created VLAN2 for the terminal server and its clients and didn't set a DHCP pool for vlan2. The problem is that the clients sometimes still get an IP from the 3550. Any idea's?
More
16 years 7 hours ago #27476 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: DHCP Complications
Hi farles,

I understand from you that your PXE server (which is also your DHCP server for VLAN2) has been setup correctly with the write IP pool/gateway for VLAN2. And that the clients on VLAN2 receive and boot correctly with PXE. Only some clients some times receive IPs that belong to VLAN1. Is that what you meant?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 4 hours ago #27479 by farles
Replied by farles on topic Re: DHCP Complications
Yes, except that they do not receive IP's from Vlan1.

For example Vlan1 is 10.101.90.*
Vlan2 is 10.101.91.*

The clients will get an IP of 10.101.0.* and the default gateway is blank. When the clients get the IP from the Linux box they boot fine and don't have any problems.

I haven't configured the 3550 with any information about the Linux (DHCP) server, should I do some configuration to tell it to forward requests to it? Thanks
More
16 years 1 hour ago #27480 by S0lo
No need to configure the two DHCP services to know each other in any way.

First I'd make sure (recheck) that those problemed clients are connected to ports that are correctly assigned to VLAN2 on the 3550.

Second, Make sure that the DHCP pool on the 3550 is defined with the correct subnet mask (or range) for VLAN1. Your getting IPs of 10.101.0.*, Sounds like the the pool's mask is set to 255.255.0.0. It should be set to the same mask your using for VLAN1, otherwise the pool might cover both VLANs and the switch will wrongly issue IPs for both.

Hope that helps.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 11 months ago #27489 by farles
Replied by farles on topic Re: DHCP Complications
S0lo,
Thanks for your help. It looks like our network admin had setup a "master" pool and once I showed him your post he remembered that 10.101.0.0 was also defined there. He removed it and when a client is connected Vlan2 it boots perfectly. Thanks again.
More
15 years 11 months ago #27491 by S0lo
Glad it worked!! :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds