Skip to main content

4507R "ip routing" command doesn't stick

More
16 years 4 months ago #26033 by michaeljsmalley
I've got a 4507R, and when I use the ip routing command, it seems to accept the command (no errors or any other messages tell me otherwise) yet, when I do a "show run", it (the "ip routing" command) doesn't show up anywhere in the configuration. Any ideas?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit
GFX: eVGA GeForce 880
More
16 years 4 months ago #26039 by sp1k3tou
I thought that command is only needed on layer 3 switches when you want to turn routing on. Are you sure you need it on your 4507? Maybe you just need to specify it for the switch blade that your running.
More
16 years 4 months ago #26048 by michaeljsmalley
You're right about only needing this command to turn routing on, which I'm trying to do. As for specifying it to only a single blade, there is not a way to do this. It's a global command.

I thought that command is only needed on layer 3 switches when you want to turn routing on. Are you sure you need it on your 4507? Maybe you just need to specify it for the switch blade that your running.

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit
More
16 years 4 months ago #26049 by Chris
michaeljsmalley,

When issuing the 'ip routing' command, the 4507R will enable ip routing, but you won't see the command in the running configuration.

I've got the same case at a customer with a 4507R and IP routing enabled :)

You can easily 'test' your configuration if you configure two vlans and try to route packets between them.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
16 years 4 months ago #26217 by michaeljsmalley
Chris,

Thanks for the information. I actually realized that in the middle of last week... The key thing to remember (for future reference for other people who may want to try this) is that the default gateway on the host PC's of the respective VLANs MUST be the address of their VLAN interface on the switch. This is the only way that the switch can route between them. I learned this the long way. Hopefully this will save some people some time. Another thing worth noting is that if your old default gateway (before changing it to the address of the VLAN interface on the switch) is not the same as the default gateway on your VLAN, no packets will route anywhere except to the other VLAN. To get them to leave the switch (say, for example to the Internet) this can be resolved by typing:

[code:1]ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [Address of old default host gateway][/code:1]

in global configuration mode on the switch. Please expand on this if you'd like.

Thanks,
Mike

michaeljsmalley,

When issuing the 'ip routing' command, the 4507R will enable ip routing, but you won't see the command in the running configuration.

I've got the same case at a customer with a 4507R and IP routing enabled Smile

You can easily 'test' your configuration if you configure two vlans and try to route packets between them.

Cheers,

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds