Skip to main content

VPN Router

More
16 years 10 months ago #23993 by Graham
VPN Router was created by Graham
Hi i am a new user to this site and networking I can setup routers FTP,NAT,PAT etc but never done VPN. I dont know if you can help me. i am trying to decide which router to buy i have an adsl connection and a SB107 now and need to have a VPN connection from my laptop to the office from anywhere on the web. i have looked at the 857 but i dont know if that would work? can you offer any advise that may help? Many thanks Graham
More
16 years 10 months ago #23999 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: VPN Router
Hi Graham. There are numerous manufacturers that sell the kit to do what you need; Linksys for example. I'd have a look at the Draytek stuff as you get plenty of features/performance for your money and I've never had any problems with them.
Do you want recommendations for the specific device to buy or just general advice?
More
16 years 9 months ago #24092 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic router
hi i would like you to recommend the right product but i would like to stick to Cisco. I think the cost difference is worth the money but they are a bit trick to set-up, but i think it would be worth the extra effort.what do you think? thanks for the help.Graham
More
16 years 9 months ago #24112 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: VPN Router
From the specifications it looks like the 857 will do what you want. However in keeping with the Cisco approach for this type of kit it only supports IPSec VPNs, one of three basic types of VPN. IPSec is arguably the most secure of the three but also (in my experience anyway) the worst to set up and get working. I haven't had any personal experience of this device but I'm sure there will be help on the forums from someone who has
More
16 years 8 months ago #24568 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re: VPN Router
Hi i have tried setting up a VPN so i can access my home network from anywhere with my laptop, but no matter what i seem to try i cant do it. my networking knowledge is fairly basic i understand NAT,FTP,DNS, setting up Routers and small networks but i think this is beyond me. Is there anybody who knows the script with this stuff who can help me?.Graham
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds