Skip to main content

Stackable Vlans???

More
16 years 11 months ago #23394 by oswazi
Stackable Vlans??? was created by oswazi
Hello All,

My quick question is regarding a couple of issues:

Which would be a better idea:

1) In a Vlan setting ; Use a core Layer 3 switch that communicates to a number of Layer 2 switches on 10GB access links.

or

2)In a VLAN setting; Use Layer3 Stackable Switches in a Ring topology with 10GB Access Links to each other. In this scenario, since we are using the new stackable option, we can nominate one of these switches as the Master Switch and the rest as slaves.

3) Not A VLAN setting; but the use of stackable switches in a ring topology with 10GB Acccess links to each other

4) Not a VLAN setting; but the use of stackable switches in a ring topology with 10GB Access links to a Main Layer 2 switch.

Regards,
oswazi
More
16 years 11 months ago #23395 by Elohim
Replied by Elohim on topic Re: Stackable Vlans???
How about just using a multilayer switch like the cisco 4500/6500/7600 series... Your traffic is switching through the fabric instead of routing through the trunk... much better in my opinion.

Hello All,

My quick question is regarding a couple of issues:

Which would be a better idea:

1) In a Vlan setting ; Use a core Layer 3 switch that communicates to a number of Layer 2 switches on 10GB access links.

or

2)In a VLAN setting; Use Layer3 Stackable Switches in a Ring topology with 10GB Access Links to each other. In this scenario, since we are using the new stackable option, we can nominate one of these switches as the Master Switch and the rest as slaves.

3) Not A VLAN setting; but the use of stackable switches in a ring topology with 10GB Acccess links to each other

4) Not a VLAN setting; but the use of stackable switches in a ring topology with 10GB Access links to a Main Layer 2 switch.

Regards,
oswazi

More
16 years 11 months ago #23396 by oswazi
Replied by oswazi on topic Re: Stackable Vlans???
Well with budget constraints the stackable option looks nice. There is the Netgear GSM7352S at about $2,800-2,900 Ea. and then the 24Gb modular bay kit is like $380 extra. I need about 7 of these for my cluster of 280 nodes. Total i'm looking at about $22,600 for the whole setup, it's just that i didn't know which would be a smarter setup, i.e. go with the stackable Layer3 bi-directional ring solution up to 8 units, or use a Fat Tree topology and have just one main Layer 3 switch piped down to lower level layer 2's. Of course i would like to be more organized with my network and arrange this all with VLAN. let me know what u think
More
16 years 10 months ago #23716 by oswazi
Replied by oswazi on topic Re: Stackable Vlans???
To update on this issue:

I did order and hookup the Netgear GSM7352 switches with the modular bay that allow stacking. The 2 units once stacked did provide excellent benchmarks using the iperf test. The one downside that i noticed with these units is that when you stack a config of up to 6 switches the first switch and the last switch need a stacking cable connection to create the dual ring topology. The only problem is that Netgear doesn't have anything longer then 60cm. So i will have to split up the network and use my old switches with trunking and at least get 8Gbps between switches and sacrifice some ports. The 2 stacking units i'll just use for mission critical cabinets.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds