Skip to main content

Linksys WRT54G Router Firmware Upgrade

More
17 years 1 month ago #22623 by Chip
Hello Everyone,
I have another question while I'm here I'm hoping someone might have run across. The other day a colleague of mine quickly told me of a linux firmware upgrade for the Linksys Routers that would give the inexpensive router some pretty impressive capabilities, but he wasn't sure exactly who made the software or even if it worked as well as the creating company claimed it did. So does anyone have any idea who makes this firmware upgrade and does it in fact work as well as it's claim.

Thanks,
Chip
I'm not sure how to update me profile so my email is chip.hibbard@comcast.net if anyone should have any idea's for me.

Thanks, Chip
More
17 years 1 month ago #22624 by ZiPPy
Chip,

The firmware upgrade your friend was referring to is called DD-WRT. It is indeed a Linux based firmware that runs on Linksy's routers, preferably the WRT54GL.

I am currently running this free firmware on my router, and I must say its pretty awesome. Your basically taking a $45 dollar router and turning it into a high priced enterprise router, by features.

The only flaw that I have found, or issue I should say, is the URL block feature. For some particular reason when I enter a URL to be blocked, it won't block it. I need to look into this issue and find out if anybody else is having this issue.

Check out the link below for information and download of the free firmware.

www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
17 years 1 month ago #22838 by SmartDude
I personally recomment to use Openwrt rather than ddwrt. Thouth ddwrt is needed to install Openwrt. Openwrt is stable linux os for Linksys wrt54g routers... www.openwrt.org

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds