Skip to main content

Cisco 2501 Router for Lab

More
17 years 1 month ago #22622 by Chip
Hello Everyone,
I have a Cisco 2501 Router I was going to setup for my lab while I'm working on my Cisco Certs, but I'm a bit confused about how to actually setup the wiring on it. I want to be able to setup vlans, access lists, trunking, vpn's, etc. I'm accustomed to working with the small business routers like the Cisco 870 which has ethernet connections, and I'm simply not sure how to connect this older model. The 2501 has a single AUI, 2 Serial, 1 console, and 1 Aux. I have a transceiver on the AUI which works fine, but I'm not sure about the serial so I assume it's suppose to utilize a csu/dsu, but please correct me if I'm wrong as I've never used one. Does anyone have any idea's?

Thanks,
Chip

I'm not sure how to update me profile so my email is chip.hibbard@comcast.net if anyone should have any idea's for me.

Thanks, Chip
More
17 years 1 month ago #22639 by skepticals
I am no Cisco expert, but I do not think you can't accomplish all of what you want to do with that router.

For VLANs, you need a switch. I use a 2950. Trunking will require two switches. The router is required to route between the VLANs. Unless you have a layer 3 switch.

I don't think that router can do VPNs either with that router.

You can use the serial connection to connect ot another router using a back-to-back cable. This way you do not need a CSU/DSU. You can have the router do the clocking. Then practice things like Frame Relay.

You can configure access lists.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
More
17 years 1 month ago #22749 by Elohim
The only thing you'll be able to do with one 2501 is get a feel for the Cisco IOS.
More
16 years 9 months ago #24229 by viper75
There's not much you can do with that router. You will need at least a 2600 with FastEthernet ports.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds