Skip to main content

Network Design

More
17 years 9 months ago #18600 by holmesy
Network Design was created by holmesy
Hello People,

Benn looking at these forums for some time now and i have had many good soloutions, i have my own teaser now!

I wondered if someone could help me. I have a job interview coming up and i have a scenario i have to answer. I need to draw the soloution out........

its

You have been asked to setup a network of 1000 users in a 3 storey building with email and an internet connection. How would you go about this?

The question is a bit broad, as the job is a network job i think it is more going on the line of subnetting , where to put in swiches / routers etc and how to connect it all up.. I think the main thing that needs answer is how to subnet in between floors etc

Any ideas, help would be great.

Thanks in advance
More
17 years 9 months ago #18602 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Network Design
Fantastic Question since i am only just reading about this for my Cisco Switching exam :) A little strange that you have been sent the questions for the job, normally you get them when you go for the Interview.

Anyhow, this is how i would go about it;

I am presuming that the floors are evenly distributed and therefore around 333 on each floor.

I would use seperate subnets on each floor using a 23bit subnet to give 510 hosts per floor. Somthing like

[code:1]Subnet A - 172.16.0.0/23
Subnet B - 172.16.2.0/23
Subnet C - 172.16.4.0/23[/code:1]

N.B. This is if we were segmenting based on floors, sometimes you can segment on job roles/functions or departments and if they span all floors then you would have to go down the VLAN route and setup subnets depending on how many subnets are required for the job functions or departments.

Right, i would then create a seprate subnet then for the server farm. Something like a Class C subnet 192.168.0.0/24 ?

The stack of switches (usually only layer 2 switches required for the floors to plug in the clients) on each floor would connect to a Core Layer 3 switch (to do the routing, no router then required) which then routed between the different floors and depending on the port density on the core switch and how many servers, etc.. you required in the server farm this would do and setup a new server subnet for that traffic.

You could if you wanted, have a further switch for the servers farm, just doing layer 2 and connect back to the core layer 3 switch and you could have a proper edge router/switch to connect the WAN to the Core switch (i forget all the different terms for all the different layers but i am sure i will have to remember them all for mi exam :) )

Well, so far in my reading (upto chapter 2) thats what i would do.....

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds