Skip to main content

IPcop and internal FTP server

More
17 years 9 months ago #18589 by Papcina
hi there guys,
im total newbie to this site so Id like to ask u to help me
okay, i have Ipcop 1.4.11 machine which is on the ip 192.168.1.1
it has enabled dhcp starting from 192.168.1.100-199
the ipcop machine is connected to ADSL internet, and the adsl IP is registered at dyndns.org dynamic IP service, which works fine...
next... in the LAN I have few computers which r all on the same subnet and different IP's assgined by ipcop dhcp... on 192.168.1.99 is the Siemens SE555 wlan router with an usb stick in it which acts as an file server... so, i dont get it, how to make it work when sumone types in, lets say: papcina.dyndns.org he gets on that file server allocated on 192.168.1.99 and browses the files on the USB stick...
wot exactly should i do? I tried portfwdin, and other stuff but none worked... plz anyone help me cos its a bit urgent.. thanks
More
17 years 9 months ago #18592 by DaLight
Welcome to firewall.cx, Papcina. I see you're only interested in using the file-sharing functionality of your Siemens SE555. From your post, it seems as if you're using another ADSL modem for internet access. You could just as well setup a spare PC and use it as a file server.

Anyway, if you insist on doing it this way, here are a few thoughts:

1. The file server (in the Siemens SE555) acts like a Windows file server (it's probably based on SAMBA) This means that if you want to use it over the internet, people will have to forward the relevant ports for Windows networking, which in turn will require you to use a VPN if you want any security.
2. You're probably best off using the built-in Web server functionality. This will still allow internet users to access files on your USB device, but you will only need to port forward port 80.

Now here comes the warning:
If you want to do the above, you will need to be aware of the security implications. Firstly, it's not a good idea to allow access to a machine which is in your protected network, unless you:
1. Know what you're doing
2. Have a good reason to
3. Don't really care

If you need any more help or direction, feel free to post any more questions you may have.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18603 by Papcina
hi, thanks for fast answer...
still i cant do what i need...
I've already forwarded TCP ports on my ipcop machine, 21 for ftp and 80 for http... and when i try connecting on domain.dnydns.org I get the login Gigaset screen which i normally get when i go on 192.168.1.99....
I dont get the index.html or any of files located on usb stick...
wot am i making wrong?
on stick I have 2 folders, gigaset_http and gigaset_ftp in which i put the files....

for security, should i try putting gigaset se555 in different subnet than the lan computers?
More
17 years 9 months ago #18607 by DaLight
You will need to activate the Web server service and make sure the USB device is formatted as FAT.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18611 by Papcina
ye, i did that... i even tried fat16, fat32.. and i activated web server....
I dont get wot am i getting wrong...
ill send during day a printscreen from gigaset panel...

l8r
More
17 years 9 months ago #18624 by DaLight
Have you tried to access it from any of the other machines on GREEN? Also, how do you normally access the Web GUI?
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds