Skip to main content

2 Vlan sharing same internet connections, 2950 & WRT54G

More
18 years 2 months ago #15413 by Morten
Hi,
Is it possible to make two vlans on the 2950, that share the same internett connections using:
Cabel modem -> Linksys Router WRT54G v.2 -> Cisco ws2950-12 v.12.1

My 2950 supports 802.1q trunking but do not support ISL trunking.

Best regards
Morten
More
18 years 2 months ago #15450 by havohej
Hi, yes you can, I mean, if you are using int both vlans rfc1918 addressing, It means that at the linksys router those adressing is translating to public one (s) , NAT.

so for basic internet connectivity you must define at the linksys router what adressing must be translated by an access list identifying both inside networks.
and also for intervlan routing between both vlans, the router must support 802.1q and create the subinterfaces with ip addressing belongin to each network or each vlan.
More
18 years 2 months ago #15451 by d_jabsd

Hi, yes you can, I mean, if you are using int both vlans rfc1918 addressing, It means that at the linksys router those adressing is translating to public one (s) , NAT.

so for basic internet connectivity you must define at the linksys router what adressing must be translated by an access list identifying both inside networks.
and also for intervlan routing between both vlans, the router must support 802.1q and create the subinterfaces with ip addressing belongin to each network or each vlan.

So based on the hardware listed and assuming the Linksys is running standard Linksys firmware, no, you can't give both vlans internet access. 2950's are only layer 2 switches, so you would need a router capable of intervlan routing, which the Linksys is incapable of doing, unless you happen to find 3-party firmware that supports vlans.
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds