Skip to main content

cat5 installation limits

More
18 years 6 months ago #13705 by jordanrctm
I would like to connect my internet connection to my shop. I have a broadband connection hooked up to my wireless router, which has 4 ethernet ports. I would like to connect a cat5 cable to this router and run approximately 200 feet of cable in PVC conduit with a phone line, to my shop. I have another wireless router that I want to connect at the other end. I have found out the fartherest length of the cable is 295'. Will I have any problems with this? I have an uplink connection on the router in the house, will this illiminate the need to hook the routers together with a crossover connection?(hooking to the uplink connection on one and to the wan port on the other.) I have an 8 port router that I can connect half way between the shop and the house, in my barn. Thanks for any help and input. RJ
More
18 years 6 months ago #13708 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic length issue
mate, if that 295 is in feets, which is roughly 89 metres you dont need anything between your house and your shop. you can draw a single RJ45 between your house and that wireless router of your in your shop, and you should be alright. the max lenth you can go on an ethernet link between two end points is 100 mts. and you are only going 89 ~ 90 metres.
you will be ok mate..dont worry. let us know how it goes when you have all your nodes connected

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 6 months ago #13710 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic CAT5
Arani's right. 100 metres is the design limit, but in practice it will often work beyond that although such an installation no longer qualifies as CAT5!
Go for it, but don't use forty foot patch leads at each end! I'm sure it will work
More
18 years 6 months ago #13720 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: cat5 installation limits
Just be careful if you are running the cable outside. If you ever have a lightning storm in the area, you could be looking at serious damage to your equipment. There is a type of lightning resistant cat 5, but I'm sure it's much more expensive than the normal variety. The conduit will probably be adequate, though, especially if its made of pvc.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #13727 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Outside
Good point
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds