Skip to main content

VLAN Small Office with VoIP Hosted Service Off Site

More
18 years 7 months ago #13133 by jwhiteuwc
I was thinking of reconfiguring some switches for a client of mine, but am torn between doing it or not and would like everyones opinion.

Here's the situation.

Small Office 20 users.
Running File/Print server with 1 network Printer and barely use the Server for File Serving.

Hardware:
Switch: HP 2650
Router Cisco 1841 Advanced Sec. Package no HWIC's.

Mostly these users are there to get access to the internet and download their email from their providers (not hosted on site).

They're looking to implement Nuvio service (hosted IP PBX) off-site.

Now here's what I was thinking. Would it even benifity my client to setup VLAN's in the small office based on network usage? As described above, they're only using it mainly for for Internet usage.

Here's the other drawback. The Offices are currenlty only wired with 1 data jack/office. IP Phones are Polycom 501's and have a IP switch/bridge built into the device. Setup would be PHONE to WallJack, PC to PHOne, so... both devices would be connected to 1 port on the Hp Switch (main switch).

Some office are wired with 2 data ports, but I would say only 2-4 are.

So the main question is: Do I or don't I create VLAN's for this client? If so, wouldn't I have to run new lines to these offices that only have 1 data drop and have a PC and IP phone? VLAN config would be 1 for DATA, 1 For VOICE.

I'm torn between trying to accomplish it or just saying it's not going to offer enough benifits to go through with the config....

Your opinions?

Youre opinoins are greatly valued, thanks in advance!

Thanks!
More
18 years 7 months ago #13137 by havohej
Hi

answering the question for the setup of new vlan,A recommended action is to create a new vlan, only for voice traffic, and another one for user data traffic, It is not desriable to mix the data an voice traffic in the same vlan because large data traffic can delay voice traffic.

First, with one voice vlan separate from the data vlan you can do QOS, for the prioiritzation and marking of voice traffic to traverse the wan, first int switch device you mark the voice traffic as high dscp, precedence or CoS and in the router you can assing a LLQ for the voice traffic to traverse first the wan over the data traffic.

In the scenario that you are connecting the switchport first to the phone, and then the phone to the nic pc, it means that the The link between the switchport and the phone is a trunk port carryng traffic tagged form both voice an data vlan.
More
18 years 7 months ago #13138 by havohej
Sorry, I forget!
answering for the second question, it is not necessary to do a second cable run for the ip phones, configure the switch port for trunking, and beleveme it works fine!
More
18 years 7 months ago #13166 by jwhiteuwc
In regards to:

"Sorry, I forget!
answering for the second question, it is not necessary to do a second cable run for the ip phones, configure the switch port for trunking, and beleveme it works fine!"

Being that a PC is connected to the phone even in a trunked port the transmittion of VOICE and DATA going to the single port on the switch cannot be seperated (correct?). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
More
18 years 7 months ago #13177 by havohej
hi.
I correct you, the answer is yes, both data an voice frames can be separated at the ingress switchport.

I repeat again, the link between the switchport and the ip phone must be a trunk, and the vice vlan frames enter the switchport tagged with 5 cos, the data vlan you can assign the native and it does not came tagged.
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds