Skip to main content

Layer 2 Problems with MAC address

More
18 years 7 months ago #13031 by Ando
I am using a Cisco 1801. I have a /30 network with one static public IP on my end and the other useable IP being the gateway on the ISP's side.

The connection works fine for a few hours, after which it just drops comms and I get no data flow. I'll power cycle the Cisco 1801 and still no data flow, but the CD light is on solid.

The odd thing is that to establish data flow again, I have to remove the Cisco 1801 and plug in a netgear router. I then plug the Cisco 1801 back in and everything works fine for a few more hours. I'm continually having to do this.

The ISP says it's a layer 2 problem because when my connection goes down they can't see any MAC address coming from my end. Even after power cycling the Cisco 1801, they still can not see any MAC address on my end. When I plug the netgear router in, they then can see a MAC address on my end.

Is it my Cisco 1801 that's the problem or something on the ISP's side?
More
18 years 7 months ago #13032 by havohej
Hi.

Try to login by the console and see in real time what is happening when the problem arises.

also look at the wan interface and use some show commands, to see, if it is really down, or if there are increment of errors.

another question is that only the wan side is down?? adn what happens to the lan side??

if it is down also, look at the cpu utilization, maybe a service is consuming most of cpu processing.

It is very odd that a cisco device gets damaged, but sometimes it happens
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds