Skip to main content

VTP Question

More
18 years 6 months ago #13407 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: VTP Question

thanks a lot :D

when i use 3com 4070 as my core switch, and 3com ss2 3300,
ss3 4200,ss3 4900 as branch switches. wether the VTP Service would be implemented?

IIRC, VTP is proprietary to Cisco. 3Com may have similar functionality, but it won't be interoperable with Cisco's VTP.

Cisco documentation applies to Cisco devices only. General technologies will be similar across devices, but you will need to research the technologies for the devices you have using that manufacturer's documentation.
More
18 years 6 months ago #13412 by Cisco4me
Replied by Cisco4me on topic Re: VTP Question
The warnings of VTP in this post are accurate. Be especially careful with Cisco VTP as all switches are VTP servers by default. Which means if you plug a new switch into your network, and specify the proper domain and password, chances are good that the new switch will propagate its VTP database (consisting of only VLAN 1) throughout your switchfabric. I believe the reason Cisco set this as the default is so that you could configure VLAN information by default on switches without having to change the VTP mode first.
More
18 years 6 months ago #13413 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: VTP Question
Actually, that only becomes a problem if that new switch ends up with a higher VTP revision number...but of course it would all be avoided with a VTP password.

-Jeremy-
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds