Skip to main content

Configure Cisco 2610 for Cable Highspeed

More
18 years 10 months ago #11459 by protocolcomputer
Hey All,

Great website by the way.

I have a cisco 2610 router that was given to me for free and would like to configure it to work with my Rogers extreme 5Mb cable internet connection. Could you tell me what modules you would recommend for this, and how I would go about configuring it.

Thanks in advance
More
18 years 10 months ago #11460 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic help

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 10 months ago #11632 by tiamat
unless you're looking to spend some serious money for a WIC that'll support your cable connection (if they even make such a thing for a 2610) I'd recommend you just use whatever cable modem you already have, and just connect it via the ethernet interface.
More
18 years 9 months ago #11748 by protocolcomputer
Thats the way i want to work it, but i not sure how to configure the 2610 to connect to my provider which uses the mac address to connect. Also what is the model number for the ethernet nic because my 2610 only has one. I need two one to connect to the local LAN and the other to connect to my cable modem.
More
18 years 9 months ago #11860 by tiamat
actually I checked, and cisco makes several ADSL SDSL wic variants for the 2600 series. They're still going to cost you a pretty penny though.

As for using ethernet, you're going to need something with two ethernet ports, either a 2611 or a 2621/2651, etc or a network module like NM-1FE.

If your ISP is limiting a connection based on mac address, in the interface config of the cisco router, simply use the 'mac-address H.H.H' command, replacing the h.h.h part with whatever mac address the DSL modem needs to see.
More
18 years 9 months ago #11865 by Chris
Alternatively you can purchase a single WIC-1ENET - Ethernet module card which will do just find and only cost you around 40 pounds or 90 US dollars second hand.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds