Skip to main content

Training Lab Connectivity

More
18 years 11 months ago #10759 by Inferno
I agree with the switch order...I do think the Cisco would be best suited to be the first off the gateway. I am getting lost when you say "create two interfaces". I have several computers plugged directly into each switch. The computers plugged into the Cisco are utilyzing 192.168.100.0 and the computers plugged into the Netgear are utilyzing 192.168.10.0. How would I low computers from each swithc to communicate with each other, being on different networks? Also, how would I get the furthest switches hosts access to the internet through the switch plugged into the gateway?
More
18 years 11 months ago #10760 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Training Lab Connectivity
I'm going to make a sample configuration and drawing for you to clear things up. I'm busy at work, so I'll get this done later today.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 11 months ago #10766 by jwj
On this Cisco switch, you'll want it to connect to your internet gateway. Have the Netgear connect to any port on the Cisco. So you want all the users off of the Cisco to be on 192.168.100.0 and all the users off of the Netgear to be on 192.168.100.0.

First of all, create two VLANs (1 and 2) on the Cisco. Go into config mode and type:

switch(config)#vlan 2

VLAN 1 is the native VLAN and is created by default. Native means all the switchports will be configured to be part of VLAN 1 by default.

Now create two vlan interfaces and assign ip addresses and netmasks to them.

switch(config)#interface vlan 1
switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
switch(config-if)#no shut
switch(config-if)#interface vlan 2
switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
switch(config-if)#exit

Now choose your method of routing between these interfaces. I'm going to pick RIP.

switch(config)#router rip
switch(config-router)#network 192.168.0.0
switch(config-router)#exit

Now configure your switchports that belong on VLAN 2 (192.168.100.0). Example:

switch(config)#interface fa0/1
switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2

The port that your Netgear switch plugs into needs to be configured for VLAN 1. I noticed that your model of Netgear switch supports VLANs and trunking. If you wanted, you can set it up so that you can have hosts on both VLANs connected to the Netgear's ports. If you are interested in that and need help, let us know. Also, you can connect hosts from either VLAN into the Cisco's ports, as long as you configure the switchport access vlan correctly.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 11 months ago #10779 by DaLight
Excellent thread! I've been following it intently.
More
18 years 11 months ago #10824 by Inferno
Wow...very thorough. I think I already have everything configured like this to be honest with you. Two things on this note:

1. What is the point of that second VLAN on the Cisco? If this is going to be the configuration, why not just leave all the ports in the default VLAN 1 and plug directly into the Netgear and trunk?

2. My original question on the thread which I don't think I was very able to convey was this...If I DO happen to make two VLANs on the cisco, will I be able to use two different IP ranges. Example...as you have stated, all hosts off of the Cisco in the 192.168.100.0 range. Then plug the Cisco into the Netgear and make all hosts off of the Netgear through VLAN 2 utilize the 192.168.10.0 range.

Lets see if I can draw this since I don't know how to upload.

__________............___________..........___________
|_NetGear__|
|__Cisco____|
|__Internet__|
..|..|....|...|.........................|..|.....|
..|..|....|...|.........................|..|.....|
..|..|....|...|.........................|..|.....|..........H = Host
..H.H...H..H........................H..H....H
192.168.10.1-4............192.168.100.1-3

Using this...will the Netgear still be able to access the internet through the Cisco even though the IP's are different? Your idea said to put them all in the 192.168.100.0 range and just make the VLAN IP's unique.
More
18 years 11 months ago #10830 by jwj
1.) VLANs correlate to subnets. If you want two networks then make two VLANs.

2.) If you make the two VLANs on the Cisco you will have two different networks. The VLAN interface IP address will be your hosts default gateway. What's the purpose of the default gateway? To route your hosts to other networks. What's the purpose of configuring a routing protocol? To make those two interfaces route to each other.

Your idea said to put them all in the 192.168.100.0 range and just make the VLAN IP's unique.

I never stated this. From my first replies I have always advocated creating two VLAN interfaces for your two networks. The only changes you need to make are on your Cisco as I stated before. Your hosts can retain their IP addresses as before, and you'll be able to communicate between all of them and the internet gateway. So yes you will be able to retain the two different IP ranges.

Have you read the firewall.cx articles on routing and VLANs? They are very good.

-Jeremy-
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds