Skip to main content

Cat 5 Patch Panels

More
19 years 1 week ago #10079 by jwj
Cat 5 Patch Panels was created by jwj
I know that the best and most correct way to do ethernet cabling is structured cabling, that is running the cable from a wall jack on the user end to a patch panel in the communications room. From there, you obviously make the appropriate patches. I also know that it is best to run the cabling away from electrical cabling and lights in the walls and ceilings, and to use things like J-hooks so that the cables aren't lying on ceiling tiles.

Apparently, a co-worker of mine was talking to a guy who knows a lot about cable installations, and he was saying that if you don't use a patch panel, the circuitry on your switch could get damaged from I guess power spikes or something. I didn't even realize that Cat 5 patch panels have anything like resistors (I'm not sure if that is what it would be) to prevent this from happening. Is this true? I searched for half a day on google and couldn't find anything, but I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology. Unfortunately, you have to pay for the TIA/EIA 568 standard papers, so I couldn't reference that. Anyways, if anyone knows, I would appreciate it.

-Jeremy-
More
19 years 1 week ago #10091 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Cat5
Hmm, as far as I know there are no surge suppression components in Cat5 patch panels. They are just basically RJ45 sockets in a line mounted onto a common piece of metal. However there is often an element of truth in seemingly incorrect statements. Perhaps what your friend is talking about is that the EIA/TIA Cat5 standards define the data channel (their technical term for the fixed cabling) as a Cat5 compliant outlet socket connected by Cat5 compliant cable to a Cat5 compliant patch panel, all assembled in a Cat5 compliant manner. The overall link is then the channel with a Cat5 compliant patch lead at each end. If you take it upon yourself to devise a different arrangement (such as missing out the patch panel), your installation might perform perfectly well but wouldn't technically be deemed to be Cat5 compliant. And as such, the switch manufacturers would disclaim responsibility for any problems if anything happened
More
19 years 1 week ago #10099 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Cat 5 Patch Panels
Yeah, seems something was lost in translation. I guess I'll try to ask the guy he was talking to, see what he says.

-Jeremy-
More
19 years 1 week ago #10123 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Cat 5 Patch Panels
I was looking at a patch panel up close, and other than the terminals where you terminate the wires, there is a printed circuit board attached. I looked up the purpose of it, and it's mainly to reduce cross-talk. Other than that, I don't think there is anything else to it. This may or may not be related, but would anyone perhaps know why switchports or even entire ASICs go bad? I've seen this (rarely) on Cisco and more so on some other vendors. It isn't a problem with power surges since everything is on quality UPS'. Maybe it's environmental, like too much dust.

-Jeremy-
More
19 years 6 days ago #10129 by love_ek
Replied by love_ek on topic Cat 5 Patch Panels
Hi JWJ,

It's not true that if you don't use a patch panel, the circuitry on your switch could get damaged as patch pannel doesnot contain any kind of registers or any other electric component to resist patch pannels are just a way to identify your port or you can say just a bridge between end user and switch. Also if you don't use a patch panel, the circuitry on your switch could get damaged this is just a myth

Regards
Eklovey Grover

Eklovey Grover
Wireless Network Engineer
United Villages Networks (P) Ltd.
New Delhi India
+91-9811307917
More
19 years 6 days ago #10130 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Cat 5 Patch Panels
I have seen a lot of patch panels being grounded and this somehow nicely ties with what your co-worker's electrician said.

Naturally, if there was a power leakage somewhere along the line, if your patch panel isn't grounded, then this voltage could get to your switch's port, causing possible damage to the internals.

When you 'ground' the rack's patch panel , then any 'extra' voltage picked up from power spikes are instantly absorbed and I'm sure this is what he was talking about.

On another note, when using Cat 6 cable, which also includes a spiral shield wrapped around the cable, it MUST be properly grounded on both ends. This means on the computer side, you need to use the appropriate RJ-45 connectors which have a metallic piece around them to connect the cable's shielding with the network card's chassis or the rack's patch panel. Of course, the patch panel has to be CAT 6 compliant aswell!

As you can see, cabling is a big topic and there are a lot of standards and trade tips you should know about, I guess that's why its hard to come across a good electrician these days!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds