Skip to main content

Windows Vista Tweak and information

More
17 years 6 months ago #20200 by SmartDude
Dear All,
I hope its fine to start a thread Specially for "Windows Vista" since its an emerging OS. Please use this thread to share your Windows Vista tips, tweaks and information that you have .. Thanks in advance...

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
17 years 6 months ago #20202 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic User Account Control
Great idea, here is something, for advanced users of Vista, if you wanna disable the annoying User Account Control (UAC) prompting for elevating your privileges when programs need greater access then the locally logged in user.

If you are expereinced in protecting you machine from Malware, Viruses and the like, then i see no issues in disabling this, however if you are not too confident in properly securing your machine then this feature may be of good benefit.

Here is how to do it;

(Not sure if this first option works on all version or not so there are other steps below)

Option 1

[code:1]Step 1 Go to control pannel
Step 2 Click User Accounts
Step 3 Click User Accounts Again
Step 4 Click "Turn User Account Control on or off"
Step 5 Untick "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" --> Click Ok[/code:1]

Option 2 (For Windows Vista Home Basic/Premium only)

[code:1]Step 1. Click Start and enter regedit in the Search box to launch the Registry Editor.
Step 2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System
Step 3. Double-click the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin item.
Step 4. Change the value to 00000000.
Step 5. Close the dialog and exit the Registry Editor.[/code:1]

Option 3 (For Windows Vista other then Home Basic/Premium)

[code:1]Step 1. Click the Start button and launch the Local Security Policy editor by entering secpol.msc in the Search box.
Step 2. Select the Local Policies item in the left panel to expand the tree, then expand Security Options under Local Policies.
Step 3. Scroll down the list in the right panel to locate User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Right-click that item and choose Properties.
Step 4. Select Elevate without prompting and close the dialog.[/code:1]

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20221 by SmartDude
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with US. Our 1st post for Windows Vista...

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
17 years 6 months ago #20226 by TheBishop
Here's another one. There are quite a few settings for the built-in firewall that you can't access using the standard firewall dialogues. If you want to get into these, open an MCC and add the Windows Firewall snap-in
More
17 years 6 months ago #20238 by DaLight

... open an MCC ...

I take it you mean an "MMC", Bishop.
More
17 years 6 months ago #20242 by Smurf
This is amazing, Bypassing Vista Activation. Apparently there is a registry tweak included in Vista to do this ? Why ?

Take a look at the current Windows Secrets/Langa List here

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds