Skip to main content

Restricting use of Removable Storage Devices on Network

More
17 years 9 months ago #18872 by kuls
Hi,

Anybody know how to make a group policy entry to restrict all users from accessign removable storage devices.

I have tried it using adm file in gp editor but its not working.

Thanks
More
17 years 9 months ago #18882 by DaLight
I'm assuming you mean USB storage devices. There are no "out-of -the-box" Group policy settings for Windows 2000 or 2003 although Longhorn (the successor to Win 2003) will have this built in.

You can download an adm file from Microsoft here which allows you to disable access to a different types of USB devices. Also check out this useful article from Daniel Petri's excellent website.

If you have a healthy IT budget, you may want to purchase one of the ready-made packages ( DeviceLock , GFI LANguard Portable Storage Control , DeviceWall ) which give you a greater degree of control and granularity. They will also allow you to control access to Firewire devices.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18913 by sose
Actually, you can configure share permission on usb devices and give access to different users and user groups. By default, everyone group have read permission to the removable device.

STEPS

goto my computer
right-click on the removable drive
click properties
click on the sharing tab
if you choose to share the media,
you can click on permission

and add differen t users and user groups with different share permissions.

I remain
sose
More
17 years 9 months ago #18915 by sose
sorry, you can also choose to remove everyone group from enjoying the read permission
More
17 years 9 months ago #18920 by DaLight

Actually, you can configure share permission on usb devices and give access to different users and user groups. By default, everyone group have read permission to the removable device.

STEPS

goto my computer
right-click on the removable drive
click properties
click on the sharing tab
if you choose to share the media,
you can click on permission

and add differen t users and user groups with different share permissions.

I remain
sose

I think you've misread kuls' question, sose. He wants to prevent users from using removable storage devices rather than assigning share permissions to them.
More
17 years 9 months ago #18930 by sose
Windows XP pro donot have an inbuilt NTFS support for preventing access to removable media.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds