Skip to main content

Problems configuring IPCOP with modem Router

More
18 years 8 months ago #12692 by Robby
Hi Need Help

I have 8 static ips given to me by my isp and I used to run ipcop 1.3 with a us robotics modem/router. One static for my router , a second one also in my router as a second ip address. the redside of my ipcop was given a third which looked at the second one..

Now from this I have a wireless lan an xbox(s) and a general pc connected to the modem/router the redside .On the ipcop (greenside) i have pc's, print server and a media mvp. I have run this setup for well over a year with no problems...

Unfortunately my modem/router died on me so I replaced it with a zyxel prestige 662, and I upgraded my ipcop to 1.4.10 and I set it to run as Red-Blue-Green zones.Now I have tried everything I know but cannot get the modem/router and the ipcop box to work together.I downloaded the manual for the zyxel all 560 pages couldn't see what i needed so have contacted zyxel ,and the support was very lacking , all they told me was and I quote

The P662H is business router that is capable of securing a full feature nat setup. This can be either found in the user manual or you can read the support notes on www.zyxel.com

As you have eight static IP address you have to allocate one IP for the WAN address and the other to the internal address. The others can be used as servers or external sources.

Can Any one Help Me??

Robby
More
18 years 8 months ago #12693 by DaLight
Welcome to firewall.cx, Robby. You need whether your modem/router is running in bridged or NAT mode. Do the other devices which plug directly into the new modem/router have problems or is it just the IPCOP?
More
18 years 8 months ago #12694 by Robby
The modem/router is in nat mode. at the moment the ipcop box is off and by passed so everything is in the router .. and when cop box is on the private lan as in the green and blue work well.....but no internet

The problem is configuring the ipcops red ip address to the modem/router , as Ive tried to use my static one and dhcp as well but I can't get it right ..

Robby
More
18 years 8 months ago #12700 by DaLight
If your modem/router is in NAT mode, then it should present a private address range on its internal interface i.e. 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x. Is that the case?

I hope you're not trying to assign the IPCOP one of the public static IPs assigned by your ISP, as this will not work behind a NATed router. You will need to assign the IPCOP a static IP address from the private subnet presented by your modem/router. Alternatively, you can get the IPCOP to obtain its IP address by DHCP from the modem/router.

Let us know how you get on.
More
18 years 7 months ago #12993 by Tummeliten
Replied by Tummeliten on topic Example ?
Hi DaLight !
I am quite new to ipcop. Is there an example for the IP configuration of the green/red interface ?
I mean will this work :
RED 123.123.123.150 / 255.255.255.248
GREEN 192.168.0.150 / 255.255.255.0

Should a ping work from 192.168.0.2 to 123.123.123.150 ?

The ipcop is behind a Bintec Router X3200 with 123.123.123.151.

Can you tell me a IP configuration that will sure work ? I can try some variations on that then...

Thank you in advance !
More
18 years 7 months ago #12994 by DaLight
I suspect your problem is that your router is in NAT mode, and you are assigning a public address to your IPCOP RED interface which is behind your router. (I assume the 123.123.123.151 address has been assigned by your ISP) In that case you will either need to set your IPCOP RED interface to obtain an address from your router by DHCP or you need to assign the IPCOP RED interface a static IP address in your router's private address range. Feel free to post back if you have any problems with any of the above.

(Of course if your router is running in bridged mode and you have been assigned a range of public IPs by your ISP, then you can ignore the above. If this is the case, let me know.)
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds