Skip to main content

design a LAN

More
15 years 7 months ago #28950 by Yash022
design a LAN was created by Yash022
I need a plan of how to desgin a plan, the problem lies in using hardware for security and how to merge wireless laptops or Personal wireless gadgets(diary) with access to internet with the system.... Thanking you for your consideration..
More
15 years 7 months ago #28952 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: design a LAN
Not sure I get it. If you could give some more details about your requirements and current/existing network or hardware it would be more helpful.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 7 months ago #28954 by Yash022
Replied by Yash022 on topic LAN
Elo there..
There are 4 rooms, 2 computer labs(lab1 and lab 2), 3 theory classes and 1 staff room.

Lab 1 has to accomodate 10 desktops + 1 printer+possibility to put 5 more laptops without disrupting cnections of the 10 desktops.

Lab 2 should have accomodation for 10 students for wireless devices, say(laptops or palm tops)
The theory classes should have accomadation so that the teachers can plug in a laptop to display using projectors.

The staff rooms will require facilities for 6 pcs, a network server and a printer

PS all pcs and laptops need to have internet cnection

A telephone point for broadband connection is available

Tahnking u for the help;;)
More
15 years 7 months ago #28959 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: design a LAN
From my experience of building LAN I know this is a computer trainig institute.

All in All you planned for about 34 termination so lets talk about bandwidth first.

considering scalability a 256/512kbs should do

- the internet connection should go to a linux box, then from the linux box to a switch from the switch you can cable to other places. In your server room plug an acceess point and disable dhcp server so that it will only serve as a switch and wireless clients can connect. you will also need a 2003 server in your server room plugged to the switch, which will serve as an application server for online exams

instead allowing instructors to use their laotops leave a desktop permanently in each class

note
be careful when choosing cables , lots of substandard in the market.

use patch panels for neatness business manager like neatness

a room that needs one cable droping make it two for scalalbility

make sure all cables are labelled

make sure you have a table of connections, location, from where to where etc

work hand in hand with the electrical engineer, if not you will have power consumption problems in the labs , tell him exactly what you need

I prefer cetralised UPS with redundancy
More
15 years 7 months ago #28965 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: design a LAN
Add to sose's comprehensive advice,

I would try to implement 2 VLANs if your switch supports it or 2 separate subnets. One for the labs and one for the staff. This can minimize the impact of broadcasts and can help in isolating students from the staff. The few nodes in the classes can be connected to the labs subnet/VLAN.

You could sure do a VLAN/subnet for each room but I think it would be over segmented.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 7 months ago #28973 by Yash022
Replied by Yash022 on topic Re: design a LAN
Thank you solo and thank u sose, abt separating the 2 networks?Can a bridge do the work. And if we consider a VLAN can we separate all the teachers network from the students network?
i mean in all the rooms including the theory classes labs and staffrooms?
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds